DIRECTOR OF PATIENT ACCOUNTS
University Radiology, the largest provider of subspecialty radiology and teleradiology services in NJ, is comprised of over 140 Board Certified radiologists with advanced U.S.-based training and expertise in all modalities and all subspecialty areas. Our focus is on providing the highest quality subspecialty diagnostic care for our patients, referring physicians, hospitals and our healthcare clients. The more subspecialists driving this focus, the better the quality of care.
In operation for more than 50 years, University Radiology staffs, manages and provides preliminary and final subspecialty interpretations and consultative support for 10 affiliated regional healthcare centers and for our own 22 medical imaging centers. In addition, University Radiology serves as the academic radiology faculty at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Our physicians interpret over 1.8 million radiology procedures per year providing 24/7/365 coverage/interpretation services.
Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, the Director of Patient Financial Services is responsible for the overall operational performance of the Patient Financial Services Department.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing all operational and financial aspects to ensure an efficient and effective department.
- Oversight and direction of: Coding, Billing, Collections, Payment Posting, Denial Management, Customer Service and Business Support.
- Works collaboratively with all operational areas impacted by the Revenue Cycle including Patient Access, Accounting, Imaging Offices, Hospitals and Informatics.
- Coordinates the daily activities related to the planning, implementing and maintaining all functions pertinent to the Patient Financial Service areas.
- Responsible for continued improvement in staff through education, training and positive enforcement of appropriate working practices.
- Must be able to meet performance goals to include, cash, A/R days, production by area, and denial reduction.
- Extensive experience in managing daily operations, implementing programs that deliver operational excellence, and growth oriented tactical change initiatives critical to success.
- Strong leadership skills - Adaptable, approachable, diplomatic, impeccable interpersonal, managerial and leadership skills.
- Ability to work in a large physician-owned and led organization, in a high volume fast-paced demanding work environment.
- Promotes a culture of collaboration between all levels within the department and serves as a positive role model for the organization.
- Deep knowledge of Revenue Cycle functions of a large physician practice in Imaging Office and Hospital settings.
- Demonstrates experience in planning, developing and implementing revenue cycle best practices; gather and analyze Accounts Receivable data and develops new processes and workflows to improve quality and quantity of work processed.
- Creative and responsive problem solver with commitment to a patient centric approach to Billing and Collections.
- Establishes internal controls to ensure timely and accurate billing to third party payers.
- Meets or exceeds industry Revenue Cycle metrics.
- Monitors performance KPIs and provides a monthly leadership KPI outlining cash collections, AR aging with root causes, denials trending, recoupments by payor and other key indicators across functional areas.
- Strong commitment to formalized orientation and training of staff on an on-going basis.
- Strong knowledge of financial systems with an emphasis in billing, collections, managed care processes and compliance.
- Ability to delegate tasks and establish levels of accountability.
- Assures compliance with federal and state laws, including an expertise in Medicare and Private Payers and remains current with industry regulations.
- Strong knowledge of Corporate Compliance with respect to Revenue Cycle operations.
- Ability to manage and lead large implementation projects associated with strategic growth.
- Monitor productivity across departmental functions to assess performance and resource requirements.
- Participates in coding and compliance audits.
- Knowledge of third party payer contracts and payment rules.
- Maintains a strong chemistry with peers, internal and external customers including, but not limited to; Physician leadership, Senior Administration, Vendors, Patient Access, IT, and Auditors.
- Departmental Budget control and Vendor management – Collection Agencies, Outsource, Software services.
- Focus on continuously improving operations and workflows by identifying more efficient and cost effective processes and relationships.
- Implements and ensures Customer Friendly Billing practices.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of experience at a Director level with emphasis in Accounts Receivable Management, Billing, Collections, Managed Care processes and Corporate Compliance.
- Experience in a large physicians group preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills.
- Outstanding customer service skills required to deal with internal and external customers, departments and facilities, associates and physicians, various committees, vendors and governmental agencies.
- Certified Coder
- Proficiency in MS Office with emphasis on Excel and Word
- Ability to access and navigate Third Party Payer websites.
University Radiology offers a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental and life insurance, 401k/pension, and profit-sharing plans, generous paid time off policy and more.
Join our growing practice!